DEPARTMENT OF AGRONOMY
Patuakhali Science and
Credit hour : 21
SYLLABUS OF B. Sc. Ag.(Hons.) Courses
Course code: AGR 427
Course Title: Farms and Farming
Credit hour: 2+1
Offering semester: Winter/Autumn
Batch of Student entitled: L4-8th
AGRICULTURAL STATISTICS : General trend of different categories of land utilization; general trend of area, production and yield of majors crops of
FARM MANAGEMENT : Concept of farm and farming. Farm establishment – Factors to be considered in establishing a farm. Farm planning, layout and budgeting. Farm record and record keeping with purposes and descriptions. Basic principles of farm management and application of law of diminishing return, cost principle, law of substitution and law of opportunity cost.
CROPPING SCHEME :, utility and preparation.
CALENDAR : Objectives, utility, procedure of preparation.
CROP REPORTING, CROP FORECASTING AND CROP CUTTING EXPERIMENT : Concept, objectives and methods.
FARMING SYSTEM : Concept, determinants, classification. Component of farming system, interaction between components. Factors governing choice and size of enterprises, Characteristics of farming system of
. Models of integrated farming system for wet and dry lands. Role of integrated farming system in sustainable agriculture. Organic farming-Concept, characteristics, benefits and constraints. Bangladesh
CROPPING SYSTEM :-Major cropping patterns of
Multiple cropping: Objectives, types advantages and disadvantages.
Crop rotation: Objectives, principles and limitation.
Crop diversification; Concept, importance, present and future strategy in
SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURE : Concept, constraints. Resource management for sustainable agriculture.
RAINFED FARMING : Concept, distribution in world and
COASTAL FARMING : Concept. Characteristics of coastal farming. Scope of crop production in the coastal belt of
HILL AGRICULTURE : Concept, ecological characteristics. Present form and future prospect of crop cultivation in the hilly regions of
AGRICULTURAL PROBLEMS OF
1.Conducting an experiment to study the effect of agronomic practices on crop production and to prepare a project report
2. Graphical presentation of land utilization and crop statistics in
3. Laying out of an agricultural farm
4. Preparation of a farm budget
5. Maintenance of farm records
6. Preparation of a cropping scheme for varying resource situations
7.Graphical presentation of major cropping patterns of
8. Preparation of crop rotation schedule.
9. Preparation of crop calendar.
10. Case studies on integrated farming systems for wet and dry lands.
11.Development of integrated farming systems for different resource situations.
12.Conducting crop cutting experiment.
13.Preparation of a crop report.
14 Visit to hilly and coastal areas of
Books and Periodicals Recommended
1. Chatterjee,B.N. and Maithi, S. 1984. Cropping system-Theory and Practice.
2. Michael,H. 1982. An Introduction to farming system. Tien Mab Lither Printing
Co. Pvt. Ltd.
3. Efferson,J.M.1953.Principles of Farm Management. McGraw-Hill Book Co., New
4. Hedges,.T.R.1969.Farm Management Decision.Prentice Hall.Inc.Englewood
1.Beneke ,R.R.1966. Managing the Farm Business.John Willey and Sons.Inc.Ney York.