DEPARTMENT OF AGRONOMY
Patuakhali Science and
Credit hour: 21
SYLLABUS OF B. Sc. Ag. (Hons.) courses
Course code: AGR 111
Course Title: Introduction to Agriculture and Agronomy
Credit hour: 2+1
Offering semester: Winter/Autumn
Batch of Student entitled: L1-1st
INTRODUCTION: Concept of Agriculture and Agronomy, origin, history of agriculture, branches of agriculture, scope and importance of agriculture. Topographical classification of
CROPS AND CROPPING : Classification of crops. Agronomic and special purpose classification of crops. Cropping of rice, wheat, jute, sugarcane and mustard, cropping seasons of
AGRICULTURE AND CLIMATE: Geographical location of
CROP GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT: Definition of crop growth and development, growth stages and growth patterns of rice, wheat, sugarcane, jute and mustard. Biotic and A biotic factors affecting crop growth and development.
YIELD AND YIELD COMPONENTS OF FIELD CROPS: Definition of yield, biological yield, economic yield, harvest index and yield components. Source-sink relationship. Factors affecting yield and yield components.
1.Identification of field crops.
2.Raising a crop in individual plot with observation of growth and development .
3.Study on agrometeorological instruments.
4. Study on weather related data.
5.Visit to a meteorological station.
6.Study of micro climate in a crop field.
7.Study of growth and development of different crops.
8. Study of yield and yield components of crops.
Books and Periodicals Recommended
1. Alim, A. 1974. An Introduction to
Kawran Bazar, Tejgaon,
2. De, G.C. 1989. Fundamentals of Agronomy. Oxford & IBH Publishing Co. Pvt. Ltd.
3. Kabir, M. H.1986. Handbook of Agronomy.40/1,
1. Kakde, J. R. Agricultural Climatology. Metropolitan Book Co. Pvt. Ltd.
2. Mavi, H. S. 1994. Introduction to Agrometrology. Oxford & IBH Publishing Co. Pvt. Ltd. ,
3. Michael,A.M.1978.Irrigation-Theory and Practice. Vikas publishing House Pvt.Ltd.576 Majid
4.Morachan , Y. B. 1978. Crop production and management. Oxford & IBH Publishing Co. Pvt.
5.Teaser, M. B. 1988. Physiological Basis of Crop growth and Development. American Society