Department of Horticulture
Patuakhali Science and Technology University
Course Title: Principles and Practices of Horticulture
Course Code: HRT 111, Credit: 3 (2+1)
Level- 1, Semester- 1
Horticulture: Concepts and different branches, importance, present situation, problems and scope of growing horticultural crops, average and production of different horticultural crops in Bangladesh.
Propagation of Horticultural Crops: Seed and vegetative propagation, different vegetative methods- cutting, budding, layering with their merits and demerits. Tissue culture propagation of horticultural crops.
Factors Affecting Growing of Horticultural Crops: Quality of seed and planting materials, temperature, light, rainfall, humidity, water and soil management.
Nursery and Raising of Planting Materials: Definition, objectives, types, site selection and different parts of a commercial horticultural nursery. Seedbed: definition, merits, preparation and precautions.
Training and Pruning of Horticultural Crops: Definition, objectives, types and methods.
Fertilizer and Irrigation of Horticultural Crops: Objectives and methods of fertilizer use, organic manuring, principles of irrigation and factors determining irrigation, methods of irrigation in horticultural crops.
01. Identification and uses of garden tools and equipments
02. Identification of horticultural seeds and seedlings
03. Preparation of horticultural seedbed
04. Practicing stem cutting in wild rose
05. Practicing air layering in horticultural crops
06. Practicing methods of fertilizer application in horticultural crops
07. Visit a commercial horticultural nursery
08. Introduction to common flowers in Bangladesh
09. Introduction to common vegetables in Bangladesh
10. Introduction to common fruits in Bangladesh
11. Training and pruning of horticultural crops
12. Introduction to vegetative propagating materials of horticultural crops
01. S. Prasad and U. Kumar. 1999. Principles of Horticulture. Agro Botanica, 4E176, J, N. Byas Nagar, Bikaner, India.
02. J. B. Ednond; T. L. Senn; F. S. Andrews and R. S. Halfacre. 1990. Fundamentals of Horticulture. Tata McGRAQ- Hill Publishing Co. Ltd. NewDelhi.
03. Jules Janick. 1972. Horticultural Science. W. H. Freeman and Company, San Francisco.
04. C. R. Adams; K. M. Bamford and K. P. Early. 1993. Principles of Horticulture. CBS Publishing and Distributors, NewDelhi.
05. H. T. Hartman and D. E. Kester. 1968. Plant Propagation: Principles and Practices. Prentice of India Pvt. Ltd. NewDelhi.
06. I. P. Mathew and S. K. Karikari. 1986. Horticulture: Principles and Practices. Mcmillan Intermidiate Agriculture Series, America.
07. T. K. Bose; S. K. Mitra and M. K. Sadhu. 1986. Propagation of Tropical and Sub-Tropical Horticultural Vrps. Naya Prokash, Calcutta, India.
08. K. K. Nanda and V. K. Kochhar. 1985. Vegetative Propagation of Plants. Kalyani Pulishers. NewDelhi, India.
09. M.M. Rashid. 1999. Sabji Bigyan. Bangla Academy, Dhaka.
10. G. S. Randhawa and A. Mukhopadhyay. 2000. Floriculture in India. Allied Publishers Pvt. Ltd., Calcutta, India.
11. M. F. Mondal. 2000. Nursery O Udvider Bongshobister, published by Mrs. Afia Mondal, BAU campus, Mymensingh.