Department of Horticulture
Patuakhali Science and Technology University
Course Title: Ornamental Horticulture
Course Code: HRT 122, Credit: 3 (2+1)
Level- 1, Semester- 2
General Aspects: Concepts on Ornamental Horticulture, importance, present situation, problems and scope of growing ornamental plants and their exports
Classification and Nomenclature of Ornamental Plants: Different types of classification
Development, Construction and Maintenance of Different Garden and Park: Home garden, institutional garden, rock garden, water garden and park
Landscape Horticulture: Classification, development and management of lawn, turf and hedges
Production and Management of the Following Flowers: Rose, tuberose, chrysanthemum, dahlia, gladiolus, marigold, jasmines, cosmos, zinnia, balsam, calendula, shrubs, palms, orchids, ferns and cactus
Cut Flowers: Definition, importance, cut flower as a source of income, factors affecting keeping quality of cut flowers and its remedies
Packaging and Marketing of Cut Flowers: Definition, objectives, methods and criteria of good packaging and marketing
01. Identification of flower seeds and preparation of seed album
02. Identification of flowering and ornamental plants and preparation of herbarium
03. Practicing T - budding in wild rose
04. Design and layout of home garden
05. Design and layout of city park
06. Design and layout of rock garden
07. Design and layout of water garden
08. Cost-benefit analysis of tuberose production
09. Cost-benefit analysis of rose production
10. Propagation practices of dahlia, chrysanthemum and marigold
11. Growing of ornamental plants in pot
12. Handling and packaging of flowers
01. G. S. Randhawa and A. Muukhopadhyay. 1986. Floriculture in India. Allied Publishers Pvt. Ltd., Calcutta, India.
02. J. S. Arora. 1990. Introductory Ornamental Horticulture. Kalyani Publishers. NewDelhi, India.
03. S. Prosad and U. Kumar. 1998. Commercial Floriculture. Agro Botanica, India.
04. T. K. Bose; R. G. Maiti; R. S. Dhua and P. Das. 1999. Floricuture and Landscaping. Naya Prokash, Calcutta, India.
05. T. K. Bose and L. P. Yadav. 1998. Commercial Flowers. Naya Prokash, Calcutta, India.
06. T. K. Bose and D. Mukherjee. 1990. Gardening in India. Oxford and IBH Publishing Co. Pvt. Ltd., NewDelhi, India.
07. C. E. Pearson. 1979. Complete Gardening. Ward Lock Limited, London.
08. M. M. Rashid. 2003. Phuler Chash. Bangla Academy, Dhaka.